On Monday, 19 August 2019 07:41:20 BST Raffaele Belardi wrote:
> Raffaele Belardi wrote:
> > One thing I notice from the boot log is that the root FS requires
> > recovery. My live CDs did not let me because they are too old  so I'll
> > try to find a more up to date live CD.
> Looking better at the kernel log, for sda1 (the root partition) it says:
> "Recovery complete" so I don't think a new live CD will help. I'm really
> out of ideas.
>
> raffaele

You have 3 drives attached while you're trying to boot.  The kernel seems to
come to a stop after /dev/sdc.  It may need some driver for this device/fs.
I'd start by unplugging any drives which do not contain the system you're
trying to boot, then go through a step by step process of installing/setting
up openrc, DM and boot loader.

The DM is not necessary to boot your system, but while you chrooted into it
you might as well install and set up sddm as a DM - there are others but be
careful they do not try to bring in 2/3 of Gnome and its dependencies too.

Re-install GRUB or whichever boot manager you use and make sure it points to
the correct kernel.  If you're on an UEFI system and you boot directly using
the kernel EFI stub, re-run efibootmgr to specify the kernel UEFI will boot
with, but first run fsck.vfat on the EFI partition just in case this fs was
messed up too.

Make sure you are using a kernel set up for openrc.

In /etc/rc.conf set up a log file and temporarily enable logging.  If any
openrc scripts fail and can't boot, you will able to look at the logs when you
chroot back into it - using less/cat/plain text editor.  ;-)

I hope the above should allow you to boot, or at least arrive at some
meaningful failure message to resolve.
--
Regards,

Mick