Arve Barsnes wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 at 11:28, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It does it every time here.  It did it just the other day.  In the error
>> emerge spits out, it even says something about permissions and that's
>> when I remember to go change it.  After that, it works fine.  Maybe it
>> is not world readable or something.  I dunno.  I just know I have to
>> change it before it works.  Now that I think about it, it started doing
>> that when I began using Krusader as my file manager.  Maybe it is
>> something to do with that.  I don't recall any of the other portage
>> files needing that.
> Maybe your default umask has changed, or Krusader has its own default.
> Just type umask in a terminal to see what it's set to.
>
> Cheers,
> Arve

I get this in a Konsole.

root@fireball / # umask
0022
root@fireball / #

I'm not sure how to check what Krusader is set too.  I did do this tho.
I created a test file within Krusader, named test.file, and got this in
Konsole:

root@fireball / # ls -al /etc/portage/patches/net-libs/test.file
-rw------- 1 root root 0 Sep  2 10:11
/etc/portage/patches/net-libs/test.file
root@fireball / #

It's not world readable from my understanding.  Only root can read or
write that file.  I then used touch to create test.file2 within Konsole
and got this:

root@fireball /etc/portage/patches/net-libs # ls -al
/etc/portage/patches/net-libs/test.file*
-rw------- 1 root root 0 Sep  2 10:11
/etc/portage/patches/net-libs/test.file
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Sep  2 10:14
/etc/portage/patches/net-libs/test.file2
root@fireball /etc/portage/patches/net-libs #

It appears Konsole creates a world readable file while Krusader
doesn't.  To be honest tho, I sort of think Krusader is doing it
correctly.  It does mean I have to change it for portage to work but it
should be set to portage since it is what is using/reading the file
anyway.  While it sort of annoys me that I forget to change the file,
I'm not sure I want to change the setting, since it makes sense to me
that it does it that way.

At least now we know why it errors out with a permission problem tho.
Most likely, unless someone else is using Krusader as I am, not many
will run into that problem.

Thanks for pointing that out because I was curious as to why it started
doing that way.  We can blame this on Dolphin making it difficult to run
as root.  That's why I switched.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Oh, sorry for being so original with the file names.  ROFL