On Saturday, 19 October 2019 09:11:17 BST Hartmut Figge wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am somewhat desperate. Before I obtained a new monitor, my installed
> games on wine worked fine. Now many of them crash at startup. Most of
> them run still fine under wine-vanilla-4.0.1 but not under
> wine-vanilla-4.17.
>
> After some tinkering I found a hint when using OblivionLauncher.exe.
>
> In wine-vanilla-4.0.1 the available resolutions are
> http://www.triffids.de/pub/aoc/wine-4.01_oblivionlauncher.png
>
> In wine-vanilla-4.17 the available resolutions are
> http://www.triffids.de/pub/aoc/wine-4.17_oblivionlauncher.png
>
> You can see that most of the resolutions are missing under 4.17. If I
> select the available resolution 800x600 in 4.17 then oblivion starts and
> runs without problems.
>
> But many of the games do not have a launcher to choose a resolution
> from. I assume when a games tries to start with a resolution which now
> seems unsupported it runs into difficulties.
>
> So the question is, how to get wine-vanilla-4-17 to accept the available
> resolutions? This problem didn't occur with the old monitor.
>
> Some info:
>
> xrandr old monitor:
> Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1600 x 1200, maximum 16384 x 16384
> DVI-I-0 disconnected primary (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DVI-I-1 connected 1600x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 367mm x 275mm
>    1600x1200     60.00*+
>    1280x1024     75.02    60.02
>    1152x864      75.00
>    1024x768      75.03    60.00
>    800x600       75.00    60.32
>    640x480       75.00    59.94
> HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DVI-D-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>
> xrandr new monitor
> Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
> DVI-I-0 disconnected primary (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DVI-I-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DVI-D-0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 725mm x 428mm
>    2560x1440     59.95 +
>    1920x1080     60.00*
>    1680x1050     59.95
>    1440x900      59.89
>    1280x1440     59.91
>    1280x1024     75.02    60.02
>    1280x960      60.00
>    1280x720      60.00
>    1024x768      75.03    70.07    60.00
>    800x600       75.00    72.19    60.32    56.25
>    720x576       50.00
>    720x480       59.94
>    640x480       75.00    72.81    59.94
>
> nvidia-drivers-435.21
>
> Hartmut

I'm not the right person to advise on this problem because I have very limited
experience with Nvidia cards and even less with WINE.  Nevertheless, the
(generic) way I would go about it would be to try an HDMI cable first in case
the higher bitrate makes any difference in what the kernel/driver sees and can
drive.  If there is no improvement, then I would look into feeding a custom
EDID file for the new monitor to the kernel and see if WINE performance
improves.  Have a look at 'xrandr --prop' to see what the new Vs the old
monitor display and read this for more:

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/EDID/HOWTO.txt

HTH.
--
Regards,

Mick