On 20/10/19 10:59, Mick wrote:
> On Sunday, 20 October 2019 00:35:56 BST Wol's lists wrote:
>
>> The original swap algorithm NEEDED twice ram as swap. And when Linus
>> ripped out all the "optimisation", the vanilla kernels only needed to
>> touch swap, and if they didn't have twice ram they would crash.
>
> Was this also the time when the default swappiness was set at 60?
>

>> At that point, the recommendation changed to "no swap is fine, twice or
>> more is fine, just don't have swap less than twice ram".
>
> Are you sure of this?  At least on current kernels (I'm currently on 4.19.72-
> gentoo) the overcommit_accounting kernel mechanism using a heuristic over-
> commit memory handling is set at 0, which refuses wilder over commits, but
> allows more measured over commits to use swap space.
>

> From the above and without further experimentation I assume having a swap
> slightly larger than my RAM is more than adequate for a desktop, including
> hibernating on swap.

As per Richard Brown, the current recommendation seems to be even less
than that ... "2GB is plenty". That's the SUSE default.

>> My personal rule is to take the motherboard's max ram, double it, and
>> create a swap partition that size on every disk. So my current desktop
>> system has 80GB of ram/swap - 4x4GB slots times 2 disk drives. And my
>> new system has 4x8GB so that'll be 160GB!!! HOWEVER - Richard Brown of
>> SUSE said that's dangerous - if somebody fork-bombs you it'll take a
>> long time to fill that much swap and regaining control of your system
>> could well be a big red switch job.
>>

> Each to their own, but I tend to think this huge amount of swap is probably
> excessive, unless you're running some scientific applications which require
> big over commits for their calculations.

Well, I do all my emerges on tmpfs, so if things like LO, firefox et al
need maybe 10GB, I need at least that available ... (that said, 16GB ram
could probably do it without needing swap :-)

But seeing as I try to fill up my mobo ram, my disks are mirrored, and I
still try and stick to the "twice ram" rule, this setup means any
upgrades/changes to the computer means I don't break that rule. If it's
overkill, well disk is cheap (and I can always nick a swap partition and
repurpose it temporarily if needs be :-)

Cheers,
Wol