On Sunday, 27 October 2019 16:02:53 GMT n952162 wrote:
> But ~amd64 means that it's unstable.  I want to use a stable version of
> portage.
>
> That's why I went to 2.3.69

I beg your pardon, I copied the portage version from the title of your post
erroneously.

Let me start again:

sys-apps/portage-2.3.76

is the *current* stable version of portage, irrespective of what your present
state of portage tree, which is out of sync with the mirrors, thinks.

The way forward is to mark sys-apps/portage-2.3.76 as ~amd64 *temporarily*
only, then emerge it, then re-sync and finally unmark sys-apps/portage-2.3.76
as ~amd64 in your /etc.

Following a resync your local tree will be brought up to date and portage will
no longer require further updates, since you will have installed the latest
stable version (as of this morning at least).

> (Sorry, Mick, for the private msg - I always forget that thunderbird
> replies directly, and that I have to re-enter the list every time)

No problem.  :-)

--
Regards,

Mick