For remote access over the public Internet I usually use ssh. With the
'-X' option it gives you secure encrypted port forwarding to your
local X server, which appart from a speed hit is functionally pretty
close to having a directly connected X terminal.

Of course if you are trying to connect from a Windose or other non-X
system, then VNC is probably what you need.

Regards,
DigbyT