below is not exactly answering ur question, but
i am sharing it in case it helps.

here is how i chose to live in order to minimize
suffering, and i did not change this setup for
several years:

0. i login in text (no gui login).  i think xdm
   is fundamentally a redundant concept that
   should not have existed as per occam's razor.

1. i use i3, and start it by `startx`.  i can
   auto-start startx upon login, but i like it
   better this way, as i may not always want gui
   stuff.

2. for screen locking, i made an i3 binding that
   executes `i3lock` upon pressing `mod+del`.

3. if i wanted to auto-lock, or auto-run a screen
   saver, i use things like `xautolock`.  but i
   no longer do it, bcoz i don't feel i really
   need it (occam's razor) -- it's just that i
   happened to do it in the past.  nowadays, i
   have evolved to just not forget locking the
   screen when leaving my desk.

i know not exactly answering ur xdm-specific
question, but i hope it offered u another
perspective that might take u closer to ur nerd
singularity.

rgrds,
cm.