On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 4:23 AM n952162 <n952...@web.de> wrote:

> My understanding was that this message was due to the lack of an .Xauthority
> file:
>
> Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated

This is not correct.  The problem is that it is trying to set up
trusted forwarding, and no security extension is present.  While an
.Xauthority file isn't created, that is just a symptom of the earlier
problem.  If you create an .Xauthority file it will do you no good
whatsoever if you want to connect with -X.

> If I interpret that correctly, one simply failed, and the other used fake
> security.  Someone subsequently mentioned that the -Y flag would generate the
> .Xauthority file, which I tested and saw that that indeed was true -
> although, the thusly generated .Xauthority file did not allow a subsequent
> usage with -X.

-X will generate a .Xauthority file if it negotiates a connection, as will -Y.

The reason -Y is working and not -X is that it doesn't need the
missing security extension to work.  Thus it sets up the connection
and creates the .Xauthority file.  However, this is of no use for
starting a subsequent connection using -X, because the problem with -X
has nothing to do with the .Xauthority file in this case.

--
Rich