Am Donnerstag, 6. Februar 2020, 18:45:12 CET schrieb Ian Zimmerman:
> On 2020-02-06 09:56, Mick wrote:
> > Otherwise the latest sci-libs/lapack is 3.8.0, so your links above look
> > correct as far as I can tell.
>
> Note that sci-libs/lapack and sci-libs/lapack-reference are 2 distinct
> packages.  The OP presumably has the latter.
>
> Both of them existing may be the real bug here.

You motivated me to look this up on my system, and I don't think that's right:

- octave depends on virtual/lapack, and
- virtual/lapack does *not* depend on lapack-reference:

  RDEPEND="
       >=sci-libs/lapack-3.8.0[eselect-ldso?]
       eselect-ldso? ( || (
           >=sci-libs/lapack-3.8.0[eselect-ldso]
           sci-libs/openblas[eselect-ldso] ) )
  "
  DEPEND="${RDEPEND}"

Note also that lapack-reference has no eselect-ldso USE flag, which Karl
changed as per one of his other emails.

Karl, what exactly is the error message you get?  Can you find anything
related on bugs.gentoo.org?  FWIW, my octave installation starts just fine,
but I use openblas:

% eselect lapack list
Available LAPACK (lib) candidates:
  (none found)
Available LAPACK (lib64) candidates:
  [1]   openblas *
  [2]   reference
% eselect blas list
Available BLAS/CBLAS (lib) candidates:
  (none found)
Available BLAS/CBLAS (lib64) candidates:
  [1]   openblas *
  [2]   reference

HTH
--