On 2020-02-15 01:46, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 7:25 PM Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:

personally, I care about closing bugs that are done with or
can't be acted upon.

As do I.

I honestly think it would
be best to close bugs that are just not applicable anymore, e.g., for ebuilds or versions of packages that have not been in the tree for a looong time,

Certainly.

like, say, HAL: https://bugs.gentoo.org/401257.

That isn't a HAL bug - it is a bug for a relatively recent version of pm-utils.
This is one of the issues with a general discussion of overridden points: switch to an unimportant detail (of an example).

I'm not sure if the bug is still an issue, but it could very well be.
You don't know, I don' know, nobody is sure, so maybe it could be possible (perhaps) that it could be happen (under some circumstances) that the package with major version 2 - which is replaced by major version 3 already (since some time) - ... hm, in the meanwhile I did forget what I wanted to say. So keep all like it is (sarcasm).

And that is the issue with just closing bugs because they're old.
They can still be issues.
Seeing this as an issue is less than ... - to me it is wasted time and resources(?). Just as above.

My way was (and is?) similar to Marc's and Mark's one. I couldn't agree with some changes in the direction Gentoo is going. It looks a bit like swarm intelligence. I don't make everything right, but I do think - NOT believe!. And I'm able to see/correct the cases when I did things wrong.

Nothing personal, just IMHO. Will I get banned from this list now?

If an issue no longer exists then of course the bug should be closed.
Why doesn't this not happen?

--
Sent with eQmail-1.10.3 beta - a fork of djb's famous qmail