On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 1:22 PM Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 2:06 PM Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > It gets worse. The container reconfigured the keyboard shortcuts on the
> > host! After booting a container, alt+Fn or alt+left/right on the host
> > started switching to the linux text-mode console. I pressed alt+f2 to
> > bring up the plasma search, I ended up on TTY2... ha ha.
> >
> > Remember how I said I'll use nspawn from now on? I take that back. Let's
> > just say this thing is not even remotely production ready.
>
> Never had any issues with it, but I've never tried to use my host root
> as the input filesystem.  I suspect the issue is that this is giving
> the container access to the host /dev, /sys and so on, and thus the
> container isn't ending up being contained.  Normally you don't go
> mounting a host /dev inside a container image before launching it...
>
> --
> Rich

@Nikos Chantziaras

In case it helps you at all, here's an example nspawn configuration file
that I've been using for quite a while.

I have a skeleton filesystem tree in /var/lib/machines/multimedia-state
that bind-mount read-writable stuff.
Everything else is read-only bind-mounted from my root FS. I store things
like samba configuration, and local state, there. For example, the
container is a member of my samba4 domain controller.

I use systemd-machined to launch this container at boot.

mimir /etc/systemd/nspawn # cat multimedia.nspawn
[Exec]
PrivateUsers=false
MachineID=131472ae68624b99b5ce0bf18194cda1

[Files]
BindReadOnly=/bin/
BindReadOnly=/usr/
BindReadOnly=/var/
BindReadOnly=/lib/
BindReadOnly=/etc/
BindReadOnly=/sbin/
BindReadOnly=/lib64/

BindReadOnly=/var/lib/machines/multimedia-state/etc/fstab:/etc/fstab
BindReadOnly=/var/lib/machines/multimedia-state/etc/hostname:/etc/hostname

Bind=/var/lib/machines/multimedia-state/var/log/:/var/log/
Bind=/var/lib/machines/multimedia-state/var/lib/samba/:/var/lib/samba/
Bind=/var/lib/machines/multimedia-state/var/cache/samba/:/var/cache/samba/
Bind=/var/lib/machines/multimedia-state/etc/systemd/system/:/etc/systemd/system/

TemporaryFileSystem=/home/
TemporaryFileSystem=/var/tmp/
TemporaryFileSystem=/var/lib/machines/

Bind=/media/raid/multimedia/