On 2020-02-19 15:37, n952162 wrote:
On 2020-02-19 10:48, Adam Carter wrote:
On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 8:06 PM <n952...@web.de
<mailto:n952...@web.de>> wrote:

    I can't play audio from my VBox.  The host system only plays
    audio through the second sound card (1).  The VBox offers me OSS
    or the null driver.  The Alsa and pulseaudio pages  say OSS is
    "deprecated".   Is Oracle out of the picture?  I can't find the
    straight dope.

    Do I have to convince VBox to talk to a different sound card?

Which vbox version and what are your use flags?

FWIW, for me;
app-emulation/virtualbox-6.1.2::gentoo was built with the following:
USE="alsa opengl opus pam pulseaudio qt5 sdk udev -debug -doc -dtrace
-headless -java -libressl -lvm -pax_kernel -python -vboxwebsrv -vnc"
ABI_X86="(64)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6 -python2_7 -python3_7
-python3_8" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6 -python3_7 -python3_8"

So i can use ALSA or pulse.

Okay, that's a good tip.  I'll try those use flags - I have none set.

I'm at virtualbox-5.2.32, which I just emerged in the last couple of
days, using this profile:

    [16]  default/linux/amd64/17.1 (stable) *

I added alsa and pulseaudio and it didn't help.  Then I noticed that
opus has something to do with the soundcard so I emerged that with -vU
but nothing needed to be done.

It seems like VBox is interfacing directly with "the" sound card and
even working correctly (e.g. aplay some-file takes about the right
amount of time until it ends error-free), but unfortunately, I have 2
sound cards and the first doesn't work.

Perhaps I could map the one to the other soundcard using .asoundrc?
Unfortunately, I can find no grammar for that file.