On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 03:19:29PM -0500, Dale wrote

> When doing upgrades, I agree it is always wise to look at all USE flag
> changes.  Having USE flags is a Gentoo feature but if not monitored
> correctly, it can be a curse as well.  It can cause havoc and makes
> things not work correctly or add features one doesn't want.

  I learned this "the hard way" when the Gentoo devs "in their infinite
wisdom" made "+ipv6" the default.  Web browsers and wget, etc, would
spin their wheels for 45 seconds on IPV6 lookups, before failing over
to IPV4.  I don't recall a news item.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>