On Tuesday 25 October 2005 12.27, Mike Williams wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 October 2005 06:01, Francesco Talamona wrote:
> > > DEVICE partitions
> > > ARRAY /dev/md0 uuid=8ef83d67:79b230ba:6cc967c3:208b9224
> >
> > AFAIK fd partition type is mandatory. Anyway is good to know that I can
> > avoid explicit node names in config files.
>
> I'm not sure it's mandatory, but there really is no reason not to do so.
>
> > > I have a SATA card that doesn't have in kernel drivers, so I have to
> > > load a module, which naturally means the kernel can't autostart all
> > > my arrays, but mdadm can without me having to tell it any device
> > > nodes.
> >
> > How can you prevent it to start in degraded mode?
>
> I don't have the raid drivers compiled into the kernel :)
> I have 3 arrays, 2 of which have more devices on the SATA card than the
> array can loose. mdadm would warn me by email if it detected any array in
> degraded mode anyway.
>
> I'm not sure what problem you had that meant you could only create a
> degraded array. But if you boot from a gentoo livecd you can create a
> mirror from an existing disk *without* losing any data, or needing to
> backup. If you specify the disk/partition with the data on it you want to
> keep *first* to mdadm, that data will get replicated to the others.

Thanks for your input. Just one Question about setting the partition type to
'FD' - should I do this for all Partitions or ?
Today I have the following Partitions defined
Partition       Type    FS
/dev/hde1       83      /boot
/dev/hde2       82      (SWAP)
/dev/hde3       83      /
/dev/hde4       8E      (LVM)

Regards,
--
Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!