On 4/6/20 11:14 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
Why don't you say which MTA it is that both (a) combines MX records with
different priorities, and (b) doesn't retry messages to the primary MX?

You seem to have conflated the meaning of my message.

I only stated that I've seen multiple MTAs to (a) combine MX records.

I never said that those MTAs also didn't (b) retry message delivery.

I have seen the following MTAs do (a) in the past:

 · Microsoft Exchange
 · IIS SMTP service
 · Novell GroupWise
 · Lotus Domino
 · Sendmail
 · Postfix

Those are the ones that come to mind. I'm sure there are others that I ran into less frequently.

My understanding from researching this years ago is that it used to be considered a configuration error to have multiple MX records with names that resolve to the same IP. As such, MTAs would combine them / deduplicated them to avoid wasted resource consumption. There is no point trying to connect to the same IP, even by a different name, an additional time after the previous time failed during the /current/ delivery / queue cycle.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die