Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2020-04-10, Alec Ten Harmsel <a...@alectenharmsel.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 10, 2020, at 12:08, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>> I really, really hate how emerge now returns bucketfulls of useless,
>>> unrelated results when you do a search.  WTF is the point of returning
>>> a bunch of packages that don't contain the search string when there is
>>> is a package name that match the search string exactly?
>> This doesn't answer your question, but `eix' is way faster and I've been
>> using it since I've started using Gentoo.
> Yes, I should just use eix or equery instead, now that emerge --search
> is broken by default.
>
> --
> Grant

Equery used to behave like emerge does now, and maybe always has.  A few
years ago equery changed tho.  Example.  You type in equery list -p
firefox and it will only return exact matches to firefox.  It doesn't
even return firefox-bin unless you put a wildcard on the end.  Like this:

root@fireball / # equery list -p firefox
 * Searching for firefox ...
[-P-] [M ] www-client/firefox-52.9.0:0
[-P-] [  ] www-client/firefox-68.6.1:0
[IP-] [  ] www-client/firefox-74.0.1:0
root@fireball / # equery list -p firefox*
 * Searching for firefox* ...
[-P-] [M ] www-client/firefox-52.9.0:0
[-P-] [  ] www-client/firefox-68.6.1:0
[IP-] [  ] www-client/firefox-74.0.1:0
[-P-] [M ] www-client/firefox-bin-52.9.0:0
[-P-] [  ] www-client/firefox-bin-68.6.1:0
[-P-] [  ] www-client/firefox-bin-74.0.1:0
root@fireball / #

I have found that each tool has its strengths.  Equery is just better at
some things.  Since I tend to copy and paste from the output of emerge,
I'm able to get the exact name of the package I want info on.  I rarely
use the wildcards but sometimes they help.  Also, you can put wildcards
on the front or in the middle too.  I think there is a way to get it to
list the description to but can't recall the option.

There is also those q tools.  I rarely use them but I've seen others
post output from commands they ran and it is interesting.  Sometimes
they give info that is much better.  Thing is, it's hard for this old
dog to learn new tricks when I don't use them often.

Maybe one of those will help, or point you in a better direction.

Dale

:-)  :-)