On Monday, 13 April 2020 11:46:45 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I discovered this package today and wondered whether anyone here had any
> experience of it.

Interesting to see this project exists.  I thought Chromium was essentially
un-Googled, but obviously there's more there to take place to strip Google's
tentacles from the browser.

> Which overlay to get it from?

According to:

 https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium/blob/master/README.md

The overlay they mention is pf4public:

 https://github.com/PF4Public/gentoo-overlay

> How stable is it? Does it
> really "privatise" chromium? Does it allow extensions like ublock-origin?
>
> I'm happy with firefox, but it never hurts to have a choice.

I'd be also interested to know if Falkon/QtWebEngine is more or less /un-
Googled/ than the ungoogled-chromium browser.

I've gradually grown reluctant to spend many-many hours emerging Chromium and
have removed it from a number of my older boxen.  Especially since the 'jumbo-
build' USE flag was dropped, Chromium's compilation takes twice as long as the
many hours it used to take.  I'd rather not waste that much electricity when
QtWebEngine is built as a default with Plasma/KDE anyway.