On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 3:22 PM Alexandru N. Barloiu <a...@dale.ro> wrote:

> > 3)? Wrong?
>
> It was gpl. Then they moved it to proprietary. Then they become
> insignificant and changed it back. For me, that's sign enough that I
> don't want anything to do with it.

OK, I understand...

> > > why would you?
> >
> > desperation?  ALSA is 22 years old, and they couldn't find the time
> > write documentation. It will not happen. When it works, it works. It

> It might have been invented 22 years ago, but that doesn't mean that it
> didn't change/improve over that time.

I agree, but I was talking about the documentation, not about the
quality of the software.
Check the main documentation site https://alsa-project.org/wiki/Documentation
The first section contains 4 items, the second of which is just a
title (no link) and the 3rd is a dead link... ( actually, not dead,
but leading to nothing; and it says "Linux Audio Users Guide", a name
suggesting its contents are relevant)

> What do you mean "no joy with micro"? Maybe it could be easier to fix
> this than use OSS.

I mean I can't record sound (or I can't play it). Probably because I
don't know what I'm doing (see above, Documentation). I have a micro
which connects to an interface via  a XLR cable (it works; I can hear
sound through headphones connected with the direct monitor output in
the interface); the interface gets power from the computer via USB
(works); the RCA output of the interface connects to the LineIn entry
in the card. Trying to record with arecord produces a file that yields
noise or silence with aplay. I tried changing stuff in alsamixer...

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B01C05AL4C/ref=sr_1_5dchild=1&keywords=mikrofon%2Bxlr&qid=1585927073&sr=8-5&th=1

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B00EK1OTZC/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

The reasons I asked about OSS4 and not the details about my problem
are: (i) I like to understand what I'm doing (big picture & details)
and (ii) I don't want to be a support vampire

But maybe OSS4 would be no solution at all. However, it seems that
even trying is not an option...

Thanks

Jorge