Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Why do the  package properties  "isstable"  and  "!isunstable" differ
>    from each other in four out of five output lines?

isstable means that a package is ARCH,
isunstable means that it is ~ARCH (for your ARCH).
For other arches there is isalienstable.
Your particular package

>    app-crypt/tpm2-tss 2.3.3   0 1

fails to be ARCH for any value of ARCH, and it is
~ARCH only if ARCH=amd64. So the first 0 is not
surprising. The second value depends on your ARCH;
Since {isunstable} fails, I suppose that your ARCH is not amd64.
If you would use {isalienstable} the test would be positive.

> 2. Why does the package property "isstable" return different values, de-
>    pending on whether it is called  via the "<installedversions:...>" or
>    "<availableversions:...>" property?

installedversion returns the details of the version in /var/db.
Note that there need not even be an ebuild anymore for that version,
so this is really all information which one can rely on for that
version.

But /vat/db does not contain any information whether the version
is stable, unstable, or alienstable, so these tests do not make
any sense for installed versions.

eix does not print an error if you query that information anyway,
but the return value for any such test (isstable, isunstable,
isalienstable, etc) is always empty (false).

> 3. How can I reliably retrieve the correct information whether a package
>    is "stable" or "testing"  for both properties,  "<installedversions>"
>    and "<availableversions>"?

I suppose that this question is answered with the above ones.