On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 10:21 AM Ashley Dixon <a...@suugaku.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi gentoo-user,
>
> I'm attempting to configure a mid-range video card: the Radeon R7 370.
>  Running
> on the Pitcairn chipset and a member  of  the  Southern  Islands  family,
> I  am
> surprised at the complexity of setting up the Radeon driver in comparison
> to its
> NVIDIA counterpart.
>
> I followed [1] carefully.  Initially opting to compile AMDGPU into the
> kernel, I
> emerged linux-firmware with the following files.  All of the relevant
> files were
> added to the kernel's CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE string, using /lib/firmware
> as  the
> base directory.
>
>         radeon/pitcairn_smc.bin
>         radeon/pitcairn_ce.bin
>         radeon/pitcairn_mc.bin
>         radeon/pitcairn_me.bin
>         radeon/pitcairn_pfp.bin
>         radeon/pitcairn_k_smc.bin
>         radeon/pitcairn_rlc.bin
>         radeon/TAHITI_uvd.bin
>         radeon/TAHITI_vce.bin

Did it load ok?
dmesg | grep -i drm.*firm
You should see;
[drm] Found UVD firmware Version etc
[drm] Found VCE firmware Version etc

> Unfortunately, upon booting, the kernel hangs with the following message.
>  This
> seems to be rather common, with a similar  complaint  being  discussed
> at  [2].
>
>         fb0: switching to amdgpudrmfb from EFI VGA

Here's what i get (R9 380)
# dmesg | grep -i fb0
[    1.302701] fbcon: amdgpudrmfb (fb0) is primary device
[    1.474076] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: fb0: amdgpudrmfb frame buffer device

What CONFIG_FB options are enabled? I dont have CONFIG_FB_EFI set to try
removing that.

> As this all occurs pre-OpenRC, I am incapable of creating an S.S.H.\
> connection
> to the machine from my laptop.  When booting the kernel with the
> `nomodesetting`
> parameter, the X server reports the following after  a  successful
> kernel  boot
> (created when executing `startx`): [timestamps omitted]
>
>         (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
>         (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
>         (WW) Warning, couldn't open module vesa
>         (EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
>         (II) RADEON: Driver for ATI/AMD Radeon chipsets:
>                 ATI Radeon Mobility X600 (M24), ATI FireMV 2400,
>                 ATI Radeon Mobility X300 (M24), ATI FireGL M24 GL,
>
>                 [...]
>
>                 ARUBA, TAHITI, PITCAIRN, VERDE, OLAND, HAINAN, BONAIRE,
> KABINI,
>                 MULLINS, KAVERI, HAWAII
>         (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
>         (--) using VT number 7
>
>         (II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
>         (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
>         (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
>         (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory

I'd say that's the key. What CONFIG_DRM options are enabled?