James wrote:
YES it exist, but, some of the 'old timers' on the list are likely
to fall into deep laughter....

The original *Mail* tool. Note not mail but 'Mail'

for example:

Mail -s <subject> $USER < <body-file>          body-file to all usernames
                                               in the file user-list-file

Not sure... do you just mean 'mail' from the mailx package?

I like 'mail' for quickly throwing off emails from programs and such, but I don't think it fills this particular niche.

- something that emulates 'sendmail', so that mutt, pine, or any other email client that doesn't do SMTP can use it.
 - dumps the email into a queue to be flushed next time I'm online.
 - I can flush the email to whatever SMTP is appropriate when I plug in.

In fact, looking at the man page, it would appear that 'mail' *uses* 'sendmail' to deliver. So I don't think it can replace it. Or are you speaking of a different program?

        Tom