On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 11:44:58PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   The reason I had originally turned it off was because when it first
> showed up as a flag, I checked Google to find out what it was.  Almost
> every hit on webforums was like...
>
> Person 1 - Help; my "update world" dies
> Person 2 - Turn off "libglvnd" in make.conf
> Person 1 - Thank you; my update works fine now

Even if it  didn't  break  block  eselect-opengl  with  mesa,  it  is  generally
extraneous for most non-NVIDIA users. From [1]:

        libglvnd is a vendor-neutral dispatch layer for arbitrating  OpenGL  API
        calls  between  multiple  vendors.   It  allows  multiple  drivers  from
        different vendors to coexist on  the  same  filesystem,  and  determines
        which vendor to dispatch each API call to at runtime.

See bug [2] and commit  [3]  for  details  regarding  the  breakages  in  X  for
modern-NVIDIA users without libglvnd.

(Video drivers do not actually require an X server to be present, as unless  the
`nomodesetting` parameter is given to the kernel, they can be initialised  pre-X
to provide high-resolution TTYs.)

[1] https://github.com/NVIDIA/libglvnd
[2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/711780
[3] cb625716155c239585d752e7c19d113afdeb91af on gentoo.git

--

Ashley Dixon
suugaku.co.uk

2A9A 4117