On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 3:51 PM Matt Connell (Gmail)
<matthewdconn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2020-05-20 14:46, n952162 wrote:
> > You're saying, if I don't recognize it, I can remove
> > it from the list?
>
> The world file should contain only *selected* packages, meaning packages
> you explicitly, purposefully chose and installed.  That way you let
> portage handle all your dependencies.
>
> "selected" is the language from the emerge man page for adding/removing
> packages from the world file.  You can use emerge --deselect if you
> don't feel comfortable removing these entries by hand in a text editor.

To elaborate - you get these entries any time you run emerge with a
package name without putting -1 or --oneshot on the command line.

If I want to manually update openssl, for example, I probably want to
use -1, since I don't want to constrain the installation of openssl -
it is just there as a dependency.

On the other hand if I'm installing firefox then I probably wouldn't
use -1, because that is an application I intend to use and I want to
make sure it is there, and it can freely pull in whatever dependencies
it needs.

--
Rich