Dale wrote:

> My take.  Bad password, easy to guess, easy to crack because it is
> simple or common; not very secure even if the password is changed
> since one could use the old password in certain situations and get at
> the data.  Good strong password, changed or not; hard to crack even if
> the whole drive is taken.
>
> Moral of the story.  Have a good strong password and keep your mouth
> shut about what the password is, unless you want that person to spill
> the beans.  Or you plan to knock them off later.  ROFLMBO
>
> I'm not storing the secrets to some new weapon that will destroy the
> world and everything on it, including the roaches.  Well, that last
> one might be OK. lol  I just want it so that when I fall into the
> cremation chamber or a cemetery plot, it won't be easy for a person to
> access the drive.  I'm good at the keeping password to myself bit.
> Still thinking on killing all the roaches tho .  I'd keep that secure
> but I wouldn't mind being rid of those.  :/
>
> I think I need to watch a youtube video on this tho.  I want to watch
> a person not only install it but actually use it.  For example, what
> triggers it asking for a password and what does it look like?  Is it
> pretty fast, take a few seconds or what?  I got a lot of questions but
> they are things that can't be answered easily in text.  Yea, gotta go
> visit youtube.  Test drive youtube-dl again.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

OK.  Found some videos and jeez, there is a ton of ways to use this.
You can have a password, a key file, both or likely other options as
well.  On one video, the guy generated a key file with urandom that was
1024 characters.  As he put it, try typing that in.  Anyway, he put the
file in / and used the file to mount the thing automatically after some
setup. If however he goes to another puter, either you have to have that
key file on it to or type in the password.  He also set it up to mount
automatically.

Then I found out about crypttab.  I don't have that on my system, yet.
I was wondering how the system would know when a drive or partition was
encrypted or not.  Well, there you go.  Once crypttab and fstab are set
up, it can mount automatically.  Well neato.  ;-)

When watching a video or two, I had to google some things.  I run up on
zulucrypt.  It's a GUI that can handle several different encryption
tools.  Yes, one should at least be familiar with command line just in
case the GUI doesn't work but having a GUI does make it easier.

I still don't think I'm ready to try and do this on a hard drive.  I'm
certainly not going to do this with /home yet.  Between this thread and
a few videos, pictures says a lot, it's starting to make sense.  I also
noticed, it is really fast.  One may need a stopwatch to even notice it
is encrypted at all.

I notice that one can use different encryption tools.  I have Blowfish,
Twofish, AES and sha*** as well as many others.  I know some have been
compromised.  Which ones are known to be secure?  I seem to recall that
after Snowden some had to be redone and some new ones popped up to make
sure they were secure.  Thoughts??

Dale

:-)  :-)