Qv6 schreef:

> Folks:
>
> Just compiled a new kernel - 2.6.13-r3 (was using 2.6.11-r4), and
> upgraded kde from 3.3.2 to 3.4. On booting into the new kernel, the
> base system boots fine, but kde hangs. It seems from the error that
> xfs could not be started. The error when I start xfs manually is:
>
> gentoo# /etc/init.d/xfs start * Scanning font directories ...
> [ ok ] * starting X font server ...                           [ ok ]
> start-stop-daemon: stat /usr/X11R6/bin/xfs: No such file or directory
>  [ !! ]
>
> xfsinfo returns a "no font server defined" message
>
> I tried emerg-ing  xfs and got this error:
>
> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "xfs" hav been masked.
>
> I've played with the package.keywords and package.unmask with no
> positive result
>
> Note: never had any issue with the previous kernel (2.6.11-r3), Note:
> the pc is a Fujitsu Lifebook series laptop Note: which xfs returns
> xfs: /usr/include/xfs Any clues to sove this will be very mush
> appreciated.

I suspect you're trying to emerge the wrong thing:

You have presumably not been using xfs up to this point (since they're
all masked), so where is the font server coming from:

Must be xorg itself:

emerge -pv xorg-x11

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r4  -3dfx +3dnow +bitmap-fonts
-cjk -debug -dlloader -dmx -doc ==>+font-server<== -insecure-drivers
-ipv6 -minimal +mmx +nls -nocxx +opengl -pam -sdk +sse -static
+truetype-fonts +type1-fonts (-uclibc) +xprint +xv 0 kB

[EMAIL PROTECTED] -> useflag font-server
/usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc:x11-base/kdrive:font-server -
Enables font server support
/usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc:x11-base/xorg-x11:font-server -
Build XFS, the X Font Server

I would suggest that you consider re-emerging xorg-x11.

Perhaps the font server needs to be recompiled against the new kernel
libraries, or the init file needs to be updated.

HTH,
Holly