On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 8:32 AM Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> On 17/06/20 05:47, Dale wrote:
> > From what I've read, all the drive makers were selling SMR without
> > telling anyone at first.  It wasn't just WD but Seagate as well.
>
> Yes, but Seagate didn't start selling SMR drives advertised as
> "optimised for raid/nas".THAT is what's so bad about the WD case - those
> drives are almost guaranteed to fail the moment anything ELSE goes wrong
> elsewhere.

WD also put it in their Black line.  Those are drives marketed to
enthusiasts willing to pay a premium for some kind of cutting-edge
performance.  And they stuck SMR in it.

This is like paying for a high-end NVMe and finding out that it just
has a class 4 SDcard inside with a PCIe-USB2-SD interface.

All the drive manufacturers are scummy at this point though.  You have
no choice but to buy from them, but I trust new drives as far as I can
throw them, and every new drive is getting benchmarked from here on
out...

--
Rich