I have a local gentoo repo mirror that has been running well for years. It is essentially the same setup as described at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Local_Mirror except that it runs on a non-default port.

After upgrading to net-misc/rsync-3.2.0-r1 (from rsync-3.1.3), I can no longer emerge --sync from my clients. I receive messages such as:

        # emerge --sync
        >>> Syncing repository 'gentoo' into '/var/db/repos/gentoo'...
        >>> Starting rsync with rsync://10.10.10.10:5873/gentoo-portage...
        >>> Checking server timestamp ...
        opening tcp connection to 10.10.10.10 port 5873
        Connected to 10.10.10.10
        msg checking charset: UTF-8
sending daemon args: --server --sender -vvvvlWtprze.iLsfxCIv --timeout=180 --safe-links --inplace . gentoo-portage/metadata/timestamp.chk (8 args)

        rsync: didn't get server startup line
        [Receiver] _exit_cleanup(code=5, file=main.c, line=1777): entered
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1777) [Receiver=3.2.0] [Receiver] _exit_cleanup(code=5, file=main.c, line=1777): about to call exit(5)

The rsyncd server shows a successful connection in the logs, and it even logs "rsync allowed access on module gentoo-portage".

I've tried turning up the verbosity on both the server and client, but it doesn't really change much.

Googlies such as "rsync didn't get server startup line" have turned up nothing useful at all.

The rsync 3.2.0 changelog didn't help me either ( https://download.samba.org/pub/rsync/NEWS#3.2.0 ), but I suspect there must be a clue here.

If I roll the server version back to rsync-3.1.3, it performs normally. Upgrading the server again to rsync-3.2.0-r1 causes it to break again. Client version appears to be irrelevant.

Running rsync as a non-daemon appears to work fine regardless of server/client versions; it's only rsyncd that fails.

With no useful logs or output, I'm finding this impossible to diagnose. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve Freeman