On 2020.07.10 19:08, Walter Dnes wrote:
  I've done the preliminary setup on my laptop install, and copied the
package names I wanted into the world file.  With dependancies thrown
in, the laptop is now compiling 268 ebuilds of various sizes.

One thing I noticed while setting up. I ssh in from my desktop PC to
the Thinkpad laptop (named "thimk" <G>) to set things up.  The default
seems to be to come in to the root account, unless I override.  User
"waltdnes" on my desktop does not default to coming in as user
"waltdnes" on my laptop. I have to specify a non-root user. See below.

[i660][waltdnes][~] ssh thimk
[thimk][root][~]

[i660][waltdnes][~] ssh waltdnes@thimk
[thimk][waltdnes][~]

  Is this a recent change?
Have you tried ssh -v, or even multiple -v's?

What versions? I've got openssh-8.3_p1-r2, and haven't seen any such issues. I do have a problem where ssh from my laptop (artix linux) to my desktop (Gentoo) almost immedaitely closes the connection, but if I ssh from laptop to a different laptop or desktop, and then to the Gentoo desktop, it works fine. If it annoys me enough, I'll eventually post it here as a new issue.

I'd also check UID's not just names, just in case, although I can't think why it would matter. Is there anything strange in ssh.config or sshd.config on either side? You might compare sshd.config on the two boxes.