Ashley Dixon wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 09:13:22PM -0500, Dale wrote:
>> See how it receives the address from the router and then gives a prompt
>> again, then it mounts network file systems where I should type in a
>> command but that isn't me..  To get a prompt again, I have to hit the
>> return key.  Why does it give me a prompt when it isn't done yet?
>> Shouldn't it finish completely before returning to a prompt?  This is in
>> a Konsole, within KDE.  That said, I'm pretty sure it does this on a
>> console, ctrl alt F*, screen as well.
> I can confirm I get this also, using st (suckless/simple terminal). I have a
> VPN
> script in my net.eno1 script, so the output might differ  slightly  from
> yours,
> although the strange behaviour seems the same.
>
> [super] root@ad-gentoo-main / # etc/init.d/net.eno1 restart
>  * Stopping openvpn ...                                                   [
> ok ]
>  * Unmounting network filesystems ...                                     [
> ok ]
>  * Bringing down interface eno1
>  *   Stopping dhcpcd on eno1 ...
> sending signal TERM to pid 13839
> waiting for pid 13839 to exit                                             [
> ok ]
>  * Bringing up interface eno1
>  *   dhcp ...
>  *     Running dhcpcd ...
> DUID 00:04:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:d8:cb:8a:c6:64:cd
> eno1: IAID 8a:c6:64:cd
> eno1: adding address fe80::fd5:dd1a:7c1c:f59c
> eno1: rebinding lease of 192.168.0.3
> eno1: carrier lost
> eno1: deleting address fe80::fd5:dd1a:7c1c:f59c
> eno1: carrier acquired
> eno1: IAID 8a:c6:64:cd
> eno1: adding address fe80::fd5:dd1a:7c1c:f59c
> eno1: soliciting an IPv6 router
> eno1: rebinding lease of 192.168.0.3
> eno1: Router Advertisement from fe80::c23e:fff:fe2a:8b8c
> eno1: adding address fda8:3e71:2eb6:0:3c02:829f:d71c:a8b9/64
> eno1: adding address 2a02:c7d:25f3:2800:b8e1:f66c:e550:c1b3/64
> eno1: adding route to fda8:3e71:2eb6::/64
> eno1: adding route to 2a02:c7d:25f3:2800::/64
> eno1: requesting DHCPv6 information
> eno1: adding default route via fe80::c23e:fff:fe2a:8b8c
> forked to background, child pid 14536                                     [
> ok ]
>  *     received address                                                   [
> ok ]
> [super] root@ad-gentoo-main / #  * Starting openvpn ...                   [
> ok ]
>  * WARNING: openvpn has started, but is inactive
>  * Mounting network filesystems ...                                       [
> ok ]
>         <RETURN PRESSED.>
> [super] root@ad-gentoo-main / #
>
> I suspect that this is  just  a  silly  bug  in  which  a  prompt  is
> displayed
> [...]

At least it isn't just me.  Sometimes I think bugs/bad features pick on
me.  While annoying, I guess it is harmless.  It just seems that as long
as it has been doing this, someone would have raised the hood and looked
to see what is causing it and how to fix it.  Strange that something
weird like this has been around so long.

Thanks for the reply.  At least I know I'm not alone.

Dale

:-)  :-)