For several decades, I was a loyal AMD customer.  But the last time I
upgraded my home desktop (2013), AMD just didn't seem to have anything
that could complete with the Core-i3/5 CPUs with integrated graphics.
The Intel HD-2500 GPU was plenty fast enough for everything I did back
then, so I went with an i3-3220T (2 cores, 4 threads), and have been
very happy with it (except for the security vulnerabilties).  It even
handled it fine when I started working from home and added a second
monitor.

But, after the last update to the Heli-X flight simulator, I did
notice that I'm bouncing off the rev-limiter on the GPU.  In order to
get a reasonable frame rate and sort-of-smooth background panning I
had to dial-down or turn off all the configurable graphics features
(anti-aliasing, smoke, reflections, etc.).  Even with all of the fancy
stuff turned off, it still sometimes struggles and the frame rate
drops to below 20.

I thought about buying a video card.  A $40-50 Radeon or NVidia card
would be more than enough GPU. In the past I've been burned by ATI
cards being abandoned within a year or two of purcase. Is AMD any
better about support?  Of course, dealing with closed-source NVidia
drivers is also annoying.

Also, the motherboard/CPU are almost 8 years old.  Maybe it's time for
a new AMD Ryzen with an integrated GPU.  Even the low-end sub-$100
Ryzen 3 with Vega 8 GPU would be a big jump in performance from the
current Intel HD 2500.  For another $40, a Ryzen 5 with Vega 11 GPU
would completely outclass what I have now.

How are the AMD "Wraith Stealth" fans?  I've been using the fan that
came with the old Core-i3, and it gets a little annoying when it's
time to compile chromium (or when flying planes/helicopters).

Any issues with Gentoo and Xorg on AMD integrated Vega 8/11 GPUs?

AFAICT, the drivers are all open source, and it ought to "just work"
with recent kernels.

Unfortunately, the capaciters on the existing motherboard are all
solid and probably aren't going to pop any time soon.