On 8/20/20 1:16 PM, Jack wrote:
On 8/20/20 12:54 PM, james wrote:
On 8/20/20 10:52 AM, Matt Connell (Gmail) wrote:
On Thu, 2020-08-20 at 09:58 -0400, james wrote:
Thanks. What are your, or anyone's, suggestion for other mail client
software ?
Limiting my suggestions to desktop software, since this is still the
Gentoo mailing list after all.

If your needs are basic, Claws is an outstanding piece of software.

If you're more inclined to use a terminal-based application, Mutt or
NeoMutt are both popular.

Personally I went with Evolution, as my needs (CalDAV, CardDAV,
Exchange Web Services) exceed what Claws provides.

From what I read, there is much enthusiasm� for Claws/Evolution.

Sadly, this direct comparison, seems out of date and does not include TB-78, but it is the most comprehensive comparison I have found. A direct comparison, that is up to date, would be very cool, imho:

https://appmus.com/vs/mozilla-thunderbird-vs-evolution

and

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-email-clients#best-free-email-clients
This list is pretty unimpressive.� Most of their "free" offers aren't. Their description of Gmail doesn't even mention free use, that I can see.� Then they include Slack - and the main negative is "no email."� In addition, especially for gmail, it's not really an email "client,"� it's an email service with web interface.� I certainly don't call that an email client.� Am I just too old?

No, your not old. You are "wiser" and thanks for participating. Yes, I'm in a bit of panic mode; as I have not run a mail system, since sendmail more than (2) decades ago....

(Thunderbird, spike and slack). Others ?
I've been using Balsa for years.� It was originally a gnome based app, but I use it under KDE/Plasma/openrc.� It can handle mbox, maildir, and several other storage types.� smtp, pop3, and imap. gnupg.� It defaults to showing the plain text version, but can display HTML, with download of images only on request.� The development team is small, but very responsive.

I just look at the balsa "screenshots". I do like what I see there, so it is now on the list, thanks for that nomination.

What flags for the balsa software do you set?

What I initially intend to do is create some extra accounts via a gentoo workstation, and then use them to test a few email codes, just like balsa, and maybe run a different email server on each of the (2) R.Pi.4 systems. Some had mentioned getting a third resolvers set up on a different IP address and I think that is also a good idea. Any suggestions, being remotely based, with a bonded IP address is of interest to me too, so there would be (3) dns primary resolvers. Leaving up the R.Pi.4 boards, should be easy on the power bill, and robust and resilient to attacks and such.

I'm not trying to be a pain. But since I've decided to get back into the mail services game, I might as well go "all the way" and robustly support several open-source client software systems, including cell phones.
If as an email server, you support smtp, pop3, and imap, what reasonable clients would not work?� You don't mention providing a webmail interface, but depending on your intended users, that may not matter at all.

yes I intend to support web based mail systems, after the basic server is installed and the dns primary resolvers are up and basic functionality is working.

Here is a list of phone tested with a Android based  gentoo stage3 tarball:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Android/Devices

just released in july. Project Android of Gentoo Prefix on Android devices by using a precompiled stage3 tarball

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android/tarball

Now I just need to find a simple and straightforward way to install
gentoo on the R.Pi.4 servers.

From this list:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Embedded_systems/ARM_hardware_list

I see (2) choices to follow:
Hfern;
ARMv8-A Broadcom BCM2711, Cortex-A72 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz 8GB@LPDDR4

or

ARMv8-A         Broadcom BCM2711, Cortex-A72 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz

Or another that did not make the list?

Any recommendations or more detailed installation docs, so I can get these boards up?

I guess I should setup a web page, where the best info from these gentoo-user threads is explicitly listed, scored and implemented for the good of the great gentoo community. Sure, I wish there was someone "smarter" to do this, but I do have the resources and self funding to
do it myself. Open source centric and establish via Gentoo.

Some folks are sending me information that is sensitive, privately. That is OK, but as much as possible, I want this effort to be refined and publically published, so WE, the gentoo community, light a pathway to keep email centric solutions, open, public and robust.

I have little (especially long term) trust that the greater forces intend to keep email et. al. free and open and robustly supported.

TIA,
James