On 2020.08.20 18:42, james wrote:
On 8/20/20 1:20 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 13:06:39 -0400, james wrote:

Look at what I just received:

  From  <executivemail...@gmail.com>
"Dear User

Your Verizon✔ Version is outdated and has expired in the database as
you know we are moving our Email Platform to AOl Mail.

Failure to Upgrade to the newest Verizon✔ AOL Version 12.9 will result
in inefficient usage of mailbox and might result to shutdown

UPDATE HERE  to Visit your login page Log-in to restore.

Thanks
Verizon✔ My Account
Verizon✔ © 2020 All Right reserved  "

That looks like a phishing mail to me.

OK. How do I verify or ferret out this to know.
Ferret out what?

Thunderbird on gentoo is vulnerable?
Vulnerable to what? Any email client is subject to receiving SPAM and phishing attempts. Some email clients do have some amount of filtering included, and there are plenty of addons available. I used one of the Bayesian based ones for a while (can't remember the name) and finally gave up due to the difficulty of integrating with Balsa's pop3 fetching. As I remember, it would have been easier to integrate with a mail server than with the client.

I've charted my own pathway, via R.P.4 boards and static IP addresses.
That way, I can add whatever I want, test, and just run very few codes on those arm8 boards.... Sure, this has been on my todo list, as I prepare to live/work out of a RV. Eventually, I'll add a satellite link, when all else fails, without large attached files. I'm keeping the home, where the hub/static-IPs will connect, but I can be home or mobile, controlling my own email servers. I've just groan very tired of someone else managing and making decisions on MY email. I've received too many private emails from folks, with the same sentiment.

If what I do is well documented, then a plethora of folks can have custom setups, in a well documented fashion. Mine is the hard case with the eventual address of daily mobility, cellular and satellite comms.

Migration to R.P.4 has been on my goals list too, for a while.

MY goal, via gentoo, is to fix and document this once and for ALL. Your expertise and the rest of the band of Gentoo folks are deeply appreciated in this effort. This action has been brewing for a few years. Email is critical for me, and I do not want vendors dictating its future for me. Enough is Enough.
As you do document all you are doing, and the information you gather, I see several interrelated but distinct areas. hardware, software (several possibilities for each of several tasks,) network provisioning, and network configuration. I'd prefer a better term for that last one - but I mean things like assuring your IP address doesn't end up (or start out) in a blacklisted block for any smtp attempts. In my case, it's mostly that one (plus spam filtering) which gives me hesitation to attempt rolling my own.

James
Jack