On 2020-10-09, Jude DaShiell <jdash...@panix.com> wrote:

> If I have a desktop on a machine I go with mate when possible since I
> never  liked unity when it was part of gnome.  I ought to check in on lxqt
> since that's what Linus Torvalds was using last time I read about that.

I installed lxqt on a recent Ubuntu server machine when I need a quick
minimal desktop.  I was pretty dissappointed. I had read that lxqt
uses openbox wm (which is what I use on all my Gentoo machines).  But it
seems that on Ubuntu lxqt doesn't use openbox, it offers XFCE wm
and one other I'd never heard of before (mutter?).

It also seems to refuse to run from the command line via xinit or
startx, so I had to install a "display manager", which I find to be
useless bloat.

Next time I won't bother with lxqt and the associated bloat, I'll just
install openbox and tint2.

--
Grant