gevisz wrote:

> Thank you for your help. I turned on the computer, changed options snd
> cards_limit to 2 and ran aplay /usr/share/sound/alsa/*.wav (I have a
> different named wav files). There was a sound. Then I started Firefox
> and opened some youtube videos. The sound was present as well. Then I
> opened alsamixer. Some of the channels were muted and some had no full
> sound. Nevertheless, the sound had been present. I unmuted all the
> channels and set the full sound level on all of them. Then I again
> checked that the sound is present. It was. So, I rebooted the
> computer, ran alsamixer and made sure that all channels are unmuted
> and have full sound level. But this time the sound was absent exactly
> as I expected. Neither aplay nor Firefox produced any sound. I have
> already seen this behavior when I experimented with the kernel
> configuration about 8 months ago: the same kernel options, the same
> configuration files, all alsamixer channels are unmuted but after one
> reboot I have a sound and on another I have no sound. Any thoughts?

Try adding alsasound to the default runlevel.  And then:

/etc/init.d/alsasound start

and then

/etc/init.d/alsasound save

I think it is save.  If it pukes, may have to peek into the init script
and see what option it is. That should make it survive a reboot.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  I found a new sledge hammer.  Is this being sent as plain text
only?  No HTML at all?