On Thursday, 29 October 2020 19:59:45 GMT the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 10/29/2020 10:53 AM, Michael wrote:
> > On Thursday, 29 October 2020 14:10:07 GMT the...@sys-concept.com wrote:

> >> Here are the permissions:
> >>
> >> index on server/
> >> -rw-r--r--  1 root     root        19078 Jan 14  2011 index.php
> >
> > The above is a .php file.
>
> Yes, it is and I can read that file.  The files that I can not access
> are in:
> server/admin/index.html

> > Is 'server/' a subdirectory of '/var/www/'?
>
> Yes

I assume you have a directive for DocumentRoot?

e.g. I think the default is:

DocumentRoot "/var/www/localhost/htdocs"

and probably in your use case it would be:

DocumentRoot "/var/www/html/catalog"  ?

Then if you point your browser to:

http://<IP_address>

it should display any index.html, or index.php, under catalog/, i.e.:

/var/www/html/catalog/index.html

it should *also* be able to display any other index.html under any
subdirectory, unless this has been explicitly blocked in some other specific
Directory, or Location directives, e.g.:

http://<IP_address>/admin

should display this index.html:

/var/www/html/catalog/admin/index.html

> > .htaccess won't work if you have disabled it with 'AllowOverride None'.
>
> Thank you for the pointer.  I just change this directive in apache.conf
> for /var/www/  and restarted apache but there is no difference.  I still
> can not access /server/admin/ directory from apache.  server =
> /var/www/html/catalog/
>
> This is from apache.conf
>
> <Directory />
>         Options FollowSymLinks
>         AllowOverride None
>         Require all denied
> </Directory>
>
> <Directory /usr/share>
>         AllowOverride None
>         Require all granted
> </Directory>
>
> <Directory /var/www/>
>         Options FollowSymLinks
>         AllowOverride All
>         Require all granted
> </Directory>
>
> I just search all server .htaccess files for "AllowOverride" but none is
> active in these files.
> grep -Rnw '/var/www/html/catalog/' -e 'AllowOverride'

You wouldn't find "AllowOverride" within an .htaccess file.  This is a
directive placed in the main /etc/apache2 configuration files to determine if
directives contained in local filesystem .htaccess files will be processed or
not.  An 'AllowOverride None' will ignore .htaccess directives and make the
server speedier in responding to requests.  TBH .htaccess are typically used
locally, when you are not allowed to make changes to the main apache
configuration files.  Note, if you changed the name of ".htaccess" with the
'AccessFileName' directive, you may end up missing it.

Another thing to check is any changes to the default 'DirectoryIndex' types,
for the particular subdirectory.  If you have removed index.html or
index.html.var in this directive then apache won't serve index files when a
directory like admin/ is requested.

Finally, you could increase the log verbosity to debug level and see if more
information is revealed as to the cause of this problem.