Hmm, interesting that it shows not the full path on one machine. This
should always show you the full path:
for p in `pgrep firefox` ; do ls -lh /proc/${p}/exe ; done

You could also check with the following command what will be executed:
which firefox
Use `which -a firefox` to see all possible binaries that could be found
in $PATH.
The default is that /usr/bin/firefox is a bash script that would start
the real firefox binary at some point.

To list all packages that are installed matching firefox you could use
qlist -Iv firefox
qlist is part of the app-portage/portage-utils package.

Maybe that will help to see what is actually running on your system and
where it is installed.