On 27/11/2020 08:21, Alan J. Wylie wrote:
After updating to rsyslog 8.2008.0, I discovered that the systemd
service file no longer existed.

Upstream removed it from their tarball:

- 2020-08-12: systemd service file removed from project
   This was done as distros nowadays have very different service files and it no
   longer is useful to provide a "generic" (sic) example.
   see also: https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/issues/4333

Please could Gentoo add it back in?

When I discovered the same I took the one from platform/redhat/centos* and dropped it into /etc/systemd/system to get up and running again. I did consider creating my own but decided to just keep an eye on future updates hoping it's there.

* https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/blob/master/platform/redhat/centos/rsyslog.service

Steve.

ps.Seems it's a small world, I believe I had the pleasure in taking over from you at a common previous employer using rock linux.