On 14/12/2020 18:55, Walter Dnes wrote:
   But I want to attach the XPS 8940 to the older monitor, which only has
VGA and DVI-D.  I use the older monitor for setup/install and to keep
the "hot backup" machine up-to-date.  What are my options?  For the main
machine I'll buy an HDMI cable.  Are there adapters that'll push HDMI
computer output into a monitor VGA or DVI-D input?  That way I can buy
an HDMI cable plus an adaptor, rather than a new monitor. <G>

I've got an HDMI-to-VGA so I can drive an old projector from a new laptop. Works great.

BEWARE - IT'S ONE-WAY.

You need a different adaptor for VGA-to-HDMI, if you want to drive a new monitor from an old PC.

Cheers,
Wol