Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 16/12/2020 13:51, gevisz wrote:
>> How would you comment the following quote from Gentoo Handbook
>> "In most situations, /usr/ is to be kept big: not only will it contain
>>    the majority of applications, it typically also hosts the Gentoo
>> ebuild
>>    repository (by default located at /var/db/repos/gentoo) which already
>>    takes around 650 MiB."
>> that can be found here:
>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Disks ?
>>
>> Have I correctly understood that the Gentoo ebuild repository default
>> location
>> is /var/db/repos/gentoo but virtually everybody relocate it to /usr/
>> during
>> the installation process?
>>
>> Why not change its default location to /usr/ in this case?
>>
>> Where the Gentoo ebuild repository should be allocated? Why?
>
> Wherever you want. I have on /mnt/Data/gentoo/portage, so... meh :P

This is true.  Where can be set in make.conf and
/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf.  I have mine in /var/cache here.
At one point, that seemed to be the place it was going to end up.  Then
it changed after I moved mine.  :/  Examples for OP.

/etc/portage/make.conf:DISTDIR="/var/cache/portage/distfiles/"
/etc/portage/make.conf:PKGDIR="/var/cache/portage/packages"
/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf:location = /var/cache/portage/tree

root@fireball / # ls -l /var/cache/portage/
total 152
drwxrwxr-x   3 portage portage 143360 Dec 13 22:42 distfiles
drwxrwxr-x 108 portage portage   4096 Dec 13 22:40 packages
drwxr-xr-x 174 portage portage   4096 Dec 12 18:25 tree
root@fireball / #

OP, with that info, it should help you put it wherever you want.  Don't
forget to check the permissions, owners and group settings too.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)