At home I'm using Netgear GS305E/GS308E with no particular issue. The 'E'
stands for managed, I never use management features except for checking the
port status (nice to have, but LEDs give the same information) and in some
particular, business-related configuration, to enable port mirroring. I haven't
tried yet to set up a VLAN or configure QoS parameters, which I think would be
the main reason to prefer a managed over a non-managed.
Since I always used Netgear I can't say if they are better than others.
I think  you are already aware that unless all cable patches are at least CAT5e
you're not going to get 1Gb speed. The 'e' here makes a real difference over
the plain CAT5.

Raffaele