You've made the mistake of appearing knowlegable :-)

20 years I've been using Gentoo, I'm about to remove it because I
have not been able to maintain it since the whole python 2.7
deprecation process started.

Given my /usr/portage/package.accept_keywords is down to a
single line:

    */* ~amd64

At this point pretty much anything I try to update bumps into:

I have tried various combinations in package.use/local (i.e.,
separate from zz_autoconfig) of:

    nada.

    */* PYTHON_TARGETS="-python2_7"
    */* PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6"

    */* PYTHON_TARGETS="-python2_7 python3_6"
    */* PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6"

followed by a combinatorial product of -python2_7 python3_{456789}
for the PYTHON_TARGETS and each of the alternatives as PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET.

I've tried setting these in /etc/portage/make.conf also.

One oddity I notice is that emerge and eselect seem out of sync on
the version of python installed:

    # eselect python list;
    Available Python interpreters, in order of preference:
 ?    [1]   python3.7
 ?    [2]   python3.6
 ?    [3]   python2.7 (fallback)
    root@steamer:package.use # emerge --search dev-lang/python;

    [ Results for search key : dev-lang/python ]
    Searching...

    <snip>

    *  dev-lang/python
 ?        Latest version available: 3.10.0_alpha4
 ?        Latest version installed: 3.9.0_beta1
          Size of files: 18,279 KiB
          Homepage:      https://www.python.org/
programming language
          License:       PSF-2

Q: If you have a working Gentoo system, what version of python do
   you have installed? What does eselect show you? What are you
   using for PYTHON_TARGETS & PYTHON_TARGETS?

Thank you.

--
Steven Lembark
Workhorse Computing