On Tuesday, 26 January 2021 07:52:53 GMT Philip Webb wrote:
> I manhandled a huge update of Qt + KDE last weekend
> & am now using  Qt-5.15.2  Frameworks-5.77.0  Plasma-5.20.5 .
> It was necessary to unmerge the whole of Qt & remerge it
> & ditto part of Frameworks : otherwise there were dependency conflicts.
> Portage seems incapable of handling such situations by itself.

I did not encounter any such conflicts here, on a stable system.  Portage
updated Qt and KDE/Plasma unassisted by me.

> The digital clock has disappeared from the panel.
> I tried "add widgets" & can drag it to the panel, but it doesn't stay.
> I tried another widget (simple calculator) as a test & can't remove it.
> The icon for the clock in the "add widgets" menu has a small number
> attached, which has now reached "10", suggesting that I've added  10
> versions, but none of them is viewable ; there is an invisible icon in the
> panel which when R-clicked shows the display for editing the digital clock,
> but when L-clicked shows a different widget.
>
> Gwenview now presents my  ~/pix/  directory as "Pictures",
> though its name remains the same in my file system.
>
> Has anyone else encountered these or other strange phenomena ?
> Does anyone have a suggestion how to get back to normalcy ?

Some packages have been updated again to later versions, e.g. dev-qt/
qtgui-5.15.2-r1, kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.20.5.  Perhaps you caught
portage on the hop at your last re-sync?  I suggest you resync again and
update @world.