On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 03:56:48PM +0100, Jacques Montier wrote:
> Le dim. 31 janv. 2021 à 11:45, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> a écrit :
>
> > On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 23:01:42 -0500, Kusoneko wrote:
> >
> > > Following my daily syncing today, 2 news items appeared,
> > > the important one for this being the following:
> > >
> > >     2021-01-30-display-manager-init
> > >
> > > It states that starting the next xorg-server version,
> > > the xdm init script will be removed and that one
> > > install gui-libs/display-manager-init to replace it.
> > > Following the instructions to install said package
> > > leads to a wonderful error stating that the package
> > > is blocked by the following packages:
> > >
> > >     x11-apps/xinit-1.4.1
> > >     sys-apps/sysvinit-2.98
> > >     x11-base/xorg-server-1.20.10
> > >
> > > Removing xorg-server is not gonna happen, so
> > > looking at what emerge says, there's a bit of an
> > > issue here:
> > >
> > > https://zifb.in/GUtgto4VcX
> > >
> > > Doing the required update is currently impossible.
> > >
> > > I am definitely not gonna remember about this
> > > in a week or 2 so I'd like to deal with whatever
> > > this issue is asap. Is there any way to do this?
> >
> > You could use eselect to mark the news unread.To get
> >
> > You cannot use display-manager-init with the current stable xorg-server,
> > because of this depend
> >
> > !<=x11-base/xorg-server-1.20.10
> >
> > However, you can use it with the -r1 version, which is currently ~arch.
> > The differences between the ebuilds relate to the init handling, they
> > install the same server code, so you have two choices: add -r1 to
> > package.accept_keywords or wait a couple of weeks and hope you remember.
> >
> > The worst that is likely to happen is you forget and boot to a console
> > one day, at which point you will almost certainly remember :)
> >

> > --
> > Neil Bothwick
> >
> > Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers
> > believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."
> >

> Hello all,
>
> To get display-manager-init built and installed, i had to accept_keywords :
> xinit, sysvinit and xorg-server.
> As  specified in the news :
> - changing the DISPLAYMANAGER variable in /etc/conf.d/display-manager
> (lightdm for me)
> - rc-update del xdm default
> - rc-update add display-manager
> - reboot
>
> Everything works fine.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jacques

Thanks Jacques, your solution worked perfectly.

Thanks for attempting to help Neil, however
I did mention that I wished to deal with it
asap rather than postpone it by unreading
the news as I'll inevitably end up reading it
again eventually and re-attempting it and
face the same issue. Having it done and dealt
with like this is easier for me.

Kusoneko.