Grant Taylor wrote:
> This may be a silly question, but I don't know, so I'm going to ask.
>
> What is the minimal world file to be somewhat conceptually similar to
> a debootstrap install of Debian / Ubuntu?
>
> Is the world file that ships with stage3 the smallest it can be?  Or
> are there things that can safely be removed?

If I recall correctly, the world file from a stage3 tarball is empty.
It only has the packages you want installed added there.  Are you
thinking about the system packages instead of the world file?  If so, I
think it is as small as it can be already.  After all, a stage3 tarball
can't even boot as it has no kernel, boot loader mechanism or anything.
It's only enough that you can build from to suite your needs.

Dale

:-)  :-)