I've been a happy user of Mutt for  25 years , helped by Fetchmail.
Today -- in the midst of moving my home, of all times --
I realised that something had gone wrong & I wasn't receiving mail :
e-mails were going out, but nothing was coming back.

I tried the Mutt 'G' command, which replied :
"STLS: Mate, the command must be CAPA USER PASS QUIT ; no encryption".
Of course, that wouldn't do, as it has to send out my password.

I had rebooted on Friday after  28 days , so something must have changed.
In fact, I had updated to 'openssl-1.1.1j' during that time,
so I reverted to 'openssl-1.1.1i', remerged Mutt & rebooted.  No change.
Mutt version is 2.0.4-r1 , originally merged in 2020 ;
Fetchmail is 6.4.8 ; '.fetchmailrc' says "sslproto '' options stripcr",
which has been working properly for a long time.

Looking in 'man fetchmail', I found an instruction for testing it,
which suggested all I had to do was try entering 'fetchmail'.
Yes, that downloaded all the stalled msgs !

So Fetchmail itself is working, but when Mutt calls it, something goes wrong.
Can anyone offer a suggestion what that might be ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca