On Wed, 2021-04-07 at 22:15 +0200, k...@aspodata.se wrote:

> yea, it was a try to make c++ programs to behave under changing
> compiler and library situations. Seems that some such programs
> don't want to be built statically so they break whenever some "random"
> lib changes.

That's my best guess as to why your build is using so much more RAM.
Every library with a static-libs USE flag will have a bunch of other
libraries "copy & pasted" into it, and all of those copies take up
their own separate chunk of RAM.

Personally, I would disable static-libs. Within Gentoo the flag is
mostly there because GNU autotools makes it easy to do -- not because
it's a well-thought-out and reliable feature. But if it solves a more-
annoying problem for you, then maybe it's worth it =) In that case
lowering the -j flag for specific packages when you get an allocation
failure is a reasonable workaround.