This changed things, but not for the better.  See below.

On 10/30/05, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> 2) The init scripts complain that the system doesn't support DEVFS or
> UDEV, but
>     a) I thought I *did* have UDEV; I remember a big deal about
> converting to it.
>     b) at the moment, I can't remember how I got it, and don't see an
> option for it
>         in the kernel config.  Where is it, or where else would it be?
>    This message comes out during init scripts, but before logging
> starts, so I don't
>    have the exact text.

There is no kernel option for udev.  Make sure that the file
/dev/.devfsd does not exist.  If this file exists, /sbin/rc will disable
udev.

I got rid of the file, and now X cannot see my mouse, and refuses to start.
I think the problem is that it used to be /dev/mouse and is now /dev/input/mouse0
or some such.  I'm not sure.  I don't know where the Xorg config file is,
so I don't know what to change. (I used to know when I used XFree, but
I didn't track the whole switchover).

> 3) Sound: I get this message, but sound works okay.  Is it a problem?
> Can I or
>    should I make the message go away?  I have run alsamixer, and set
> all sliders
>    in the green.
>
>         Oct 30 13:14:23 treat rc-scripts: Could not detect custom ALSA
> settings.  Loading all detected alsa drivers.

Run "alsaconf" and save the results when prompted.

I never get prompted.  It just says everything's okay, and quits.  The message
remains.

-Richard