Michael,

On Saturday, 2021-06-12 16:29:12 +0100, you wrote:

> > $ sudo locale
> > LANG=en_GB.utf8
> I can't speak for your lua* packages, but as long as you have defined your
> locale correctly in /etc/locale.gen your system should source what it needs
> from there.

Erm,  is there a difference between  "*.utf8" and "*.UTF-8"?   Does case
matter?  The web page

   https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UTF-8

provides a mix of both notations, but I get

   $ grep -v '^#' /etc/locale.gen

   en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8
   $

So do I have to adapt my definition of "LANG"?

> Regarding perl complaining, there was a perl update recently (stable) so
> running perl-cleaner is recommended and may fix at least your texlive-basic
> issue.

I installed Perl version 5.32.1 two weeks ago during my last routine up-
grade,  so this might be  a reason as well.   And running "perl-cleaner"
returned this:

   $ perl-cleaner --all --pretend
    * Would try to remove the following perl-core packages from world file
    *    emerge --deselect  perl-core/File-Temp
    * Would try to update installed Perl virtuals
    *    emerge -u1  virtual/perl-Carp virtual/perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib
virtual/perl-CPAN-Meta virtual/perl-CPAN-Meta-YAML virtual/perl-Data-Dumper
virtual/perl-Digest virtual/perl-Digest-MD5 virtual/perl-Digest-SHA
virtual/perl-Encode virtual/perl-Exporter virtual/perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder
virtual/perl-ExtUtils-Install virtual/perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker
virtual/perl-ExtUtils-Manifest virtual/perl-ExtUtils-ParseXS
virtual/perl-File-Path virtual/perl-File-Spec virtual/perl-File-Temp
virtual/perl-Getopt-Long virtual/perl-IO virtual/perl-JSON-PP
virtual/perl-libnet virtual/perl-MIME-Base64 virtual/perl-Module-Metadata
virtual/perl-parent virtual/perl-Parse-CPAN-Meta virtual/perl-Perl-OSType
virtual/perl-Pod-Parser virtual/perl-podlators virtual/perl-Scalar-List-Utils
virtual/perl-Storable virtual/perl-Sys-Syslog virtual/perl-Test-Harness
virtual/perl-Test-Simple virtual/perl-Text-ParseWords virtual/perl-Time-Local
virtual/perl-version virtual/perl-XSLoader

    * Locating packages for an update
    * Locating ebuilds linked against libperl
     * No package needs to be reinstalled.
   $

As far as I can see all these virtual packages are installed and updated
to the most recent  stable version.   But nevertheless  I will try that,
too.

By the way, "man perl-cleaner" starts with

   DESCRIPTION
          perl-cleaner -- Find & rebuild packages and Perl header files broken
          due to a perl upgrade

Is this what they call "inspiring confidence"? :-)

Is there a reason why "perl-cleaner"  should be run manually rather than
automatically after emerging  any Perl component?   Should I put it into
my "edepclean" script which I normally run after a successful upgrade?

Sincerely,
  Rainer