I have not read every single post in it's entierty.  I have seen this lots with Firefox - especiall with flash.  It tends to actually be that the system is swapping out.

What filesyetem are you using?

js

On 10/31/05, Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi, sorry about the late reply, but I didn't see the OP

Holly Bostick wrote:

> Sorry that this will not be an extremely clear question, but I really
> have no idea where to start, or what the problem is.

that will just bring you in line with some of my questions :)

> Basically, my system is running "fine" (no overt problems), but about
> every 30 seconds or so, it 'pauses' to do something, and I have to wait
> for 5-10 seconds while it does it before I can go further. Or the
> display pauses, and I have to wait for the redraw , I can't tell which.

A friend had a problem similar to this, it turned out to be acpi (or
apm?) and his gnome battery applet.  Every time the battery applet
polled for battery level, the system froze for 1-2 seconds.

So, you could try running a fail safe X session (no extras) and see if
it still happens.  If so, try something from the command line (no X) and
see if it still happens...

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>