On 26/07/21 22:00, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> Am Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 06:10:19PM -0500 schrieb Dale:
>

>> I've had more drives go bad when using USB enclosures than I've ever had
>> on IDE or (e)SATA.
>
> Interesting, I can’t really confirm such a correlation from the drives I
> have lying around. And I don’t see how USB can cause damage to a drive.
> Except for physical impacts owing to the fact that USB drives are easily
> moved around.
>
>> I've had two drives fail after years of service that were IDE or SATA.  I
>> have three drives that are bricks and all of them were in USB enclosures
>> and far young to die.

I've bought "add your own drive" USB enclosures, and ime they kill
drives. The big one killed a 3.5" drive dead, and the little one stunned
a 2.5" (as in, it no longer worked in the enclosure, I managed to revive
it ...)

I've never had any internal drives die on me (although I have rescued
other peoples' dead drives).

> Perhaps they became too hot during operation. Enclosures don’t usually
> account for thermals. Didn’t you mention you lived in a hot area?
>
>> I paid more for eSATA external enclosures and have had no
>> problems with drives going dead yet.  All of them have far surpassed the
>> drives in the USB enclosures.

I've now bought a dual USB/SATA chassis you can hot-plug the drives
into. I haven't used that enough to form opinions on its reliability.

>> I think my drives are either Seagate or WD.  I tend to stick with those
>> two, unless it is a really awesome deal.
>
> Yea. First the SMR fiasco became public and then there was some other PR
> stunt they did that I can’t remember right now, and I said “I can’t buy WD
> anymore”. But there is no real alternative these days. And CMR drives are
> becoming ever rarer, especially in the 2.5″ realm. Except for one single
> seagate model, there isn’t even a bare SATA drive above 2 TB available on
> the market! Everything above that size is external USB stuff. And those
> disks don’t come with standard SATA connectors anymore, but have the USB
> socket soldered onto their PCB.

Are you talking 2.5" drives here? There are plenty of 3.5" large CMR
drives. But as far as I can tell there are effectively only three drive
manufacturers left - Seagate, WD and Toshiba.

The SMR stunt was a real cock-up as far as raid was concerned - they
moved their WD Red "ideal for raid and NAS" drives over to SMR and
promptly started killing raid arrays left right and centre as people
replaced drives ... you now need Red Pro so the advice for raid is just
"Avoid WD".

>From what I can make out with Seagate, the old Barracuda line is pretty
much all CMR, they had just started making some of them SMR when the
brown stuff hit the rotating blades. So now it seems pretty clear, they
renamed the SMR drives BarraCuda (note the *slight* change), and they
still make CMR drives as FireCuda. Toshiba "I know nuttin'".

Cheers,
Wol

Cheers,
Wol